Thursday, December 13, 2012

Before & After: Front Door

I'm a little late posting my latest house project, but such is life.  About a month ago when the weather was still fantastically beautiful, I decided to tackle the project of my front and back doors.  I'm so pleased with how it turned out, especially since the whole project cost me under $50!

Here are the before pictures of the front door:






As you can see, the paint on the frame is peeling, the finish on the kick plate and handle are out of date and very worn looking, and I have an ugly brown door bell.

Here are my after pictures (with my Christmas decorations!):




Here is what I did:
  • I got rid of all of the old peeling paint by sanding it off
  • I painted the frame a nice bright white color
  • I replaced the doorbell
  • I re-painted the door
  • I used a window scraper to get rid of the built-up gunk that accumulated around the border of the window
  • I refinished the kick-plate and door handle by sanding the hardware then spray painting them with a chrome finish all-purpose spray paint (It only cost about $7 for the paint.  Buying all new hardware would have looked a little better, but would have easily coast over $100)
The back door was a more simple project.  I just did the frame, but it was a much needed improvement!  Here it is!




Here is the finished product:





Hooray for another finished house project!

1 comment: