Thursday, January 19, 2012

Money Well Spent

I'm sure there have been several moments in all of our lives when we wonder why in the world we spent money on certain things (I won't elaborate).  I'm sure there are also several moments when we know we've spent money on really great things (school, anything that makes my hubby happy, living essentials, vacations, anything that deals with Russell).  However, there have only been a couple times in my life where I absolutely, postively, 100% don't regret even a penny I've put towards a purchase.  My 100%, no regret, best spent money list only includes 2 items (and possibly a close runner up that might eventually make it on the list . . . it is still being evaluated).

My best spent money list includes:

1. Tidal Basin Paddle Boats

On one of my multiple trips to visit my sister in Washington D.C., we decided to embark on an adventure that she hadn't participated in yet.  I forked over the money to paddle around in a paddle boat for an hour in the tidal basin.  At the time, I think I only spent $8 for the boat rental.  BEST $8 SPENT EVER!  Not only did I get to see part of our glorious capital from another view and get a good workout, it is hands down one of the most enjoyable hours I have spent with my sister (and that is really saying something because there has been a plethora of good hours!).  Both of us have extremely fond memories of that hour and quote that hour to this day ("consider yourselves . . .").  Every penny of that purchase was worth it.  If you're planning on visiting Washington D.C., you should check out these awesome paddle boats. I am sorry to report that the government upped the cost (it is a hobby of theirs, isn't it?) to $12 for two people. I am also sorry to report that you might not have quite the same amazing experience as us . . . but that is okay.  I'm sure it will still be fun. http://www.tidalbasinpaddleboats.com/reservations.htm

2. Epidural

It seems like many women eagerly get on their soap boxes regarding their opinions on natural childbirth vs. non-natural childbirth.  I'm happy to briefly get on mine. First of all, childbirth even with an epideral seems pretty natural to me.  I'm pretty sure the baby still comes out the same way.  An epidural is just a way to help with the pain . . . like sitting in the tub (although how is that more "natural"?).  I have more opinions on this whole subject, but I won't dance around on my soapbox.  I do respect every woman's choice on the matter . . . there is no way I want to upset a pregnant woman.  Let the poor woman do what she wants! ANYWAY, I knew before I even became pregnant that the epidural would be my best friend.  I was right.  I felt my contractions for an hour (not by choice) and that was enough for me.  I don't regret a single penny of that medical bill.  The anesthesiologist is my new best friend and I'm pretty sure the epidural didn't hinder my connection with my child or impede on my birthing experience.  That beast of a bill was some of my BEST SPENT MONEY!

Obviously, I'm very picky about what goes on the list since I only have two things, but I can't wait to add more special purchases to my list.

What would you consider to be some of your best spent money?

2 comments:

  1. Epidural definitely. Education and Violin. I may put Sushi and chocolate as something that is worth the money haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably would say my Gilmore Girls seasons and a few of my books. Love you Miss Katie - you are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete