Being the nerdy musical theater guru that I am, I am frequently asked what my favorite musical is. Well, that is like trying to pick a favorite movie or book. It is impossible (at least for me)! I have several musicals that I love (and several that I don't) and each is on my list of favorites for different reasons. So, if you're stuck in a the world that thinks that "Wicked," "Mamma Mia," and "Hairspray" are the only musicals that exist on the planet (don't get me wrong, I think they're great), or you want to expand your musical theater repertoire, read on.
Aida
Oh my freak. If there is one musical that I could listen to over and over and over again, it would be this one. I have the entire album memorized (ok, I have several memorized). The music is amazing and is perfect to just belt your heart out to. It also makes me wish I was African American (although I would be happy with ANY skin pigment) because Aida would be a dream roll. If I was put on a torture chair and forced to pick a favorite musical, it just might be this one. But that is only if I'm on a torture chair. Love it.
The Drowsy Chaperone
Funniest, most random, and hilarious musical I've ever seen. It wouldn't make much sense if you just listened to the album. It has to be on stage. GO SEE IT.
The Secret Garden
Nothing makes me want to be a soprano more than Lily in this show. I love the story, but the music is just so mysterious and beautiful. I can't get enough of it.
Ragtime
I'm always game for a musical where not only does the music leave an impact on me, but the plot does too. The musical is based on real events and has fictional and non-fictional characters. It takes place at the beginning of the 1900s and follows several different characters from different circumstances and how all of their lives end up intertwining. It is all over a fantastic and moving musical.
Les Miserables
This may seem a little cliche, but how could you not love this musical? Like Ragtime, I love a musical that makes me feel something. Also, who cares it is ridiculously long? Give me more. However, don't judge the musical by the original Broadway cast recording. I could do without most of the voices on the album. Also, don't judge the show based on "Les Miserables - School Edition." Personally, I don't think teenagers should be portraying prostitutes nor do I think young voices could do this show justice. Just saying.
Other Loves:
Phantom of the Opera - Hello! It is impossible for music to be more beautiful.
Thoroughly Modern Millie - Makes you want to sing and dance and sing and dance.
The Scarlet Pimpernel - Proof that most of the best parts for the stage are male.
So, there you go. If you want more recommendations, just ask. I'm always happy to be of help when it comes to this subject!
Ahhh! I love this post. Aida might be my favorite musical, too. I am SO in love with it! The first time I saw it, I was pretty much giving them a standing ovation from the beginning [not literally, but in my mind ;)].
ReplyDeleteBut then again, Les Miserables!? So passionate & beautiful. And Ragtime!! I love that one. And who doesn't like Phantom?! My goodness. Musicals are so amazing. Great selection!!!