Monday, July 30, 2012

Enjoying the Lasts

When I was expecting Russell, mothers around me always said, "enjoy every moment."  This was wonderful advice and I have tried to make the most of every moment with my sweet Russell.  I've noticed that most of the moments we celebrate with our babies are the baby's firsts.  First tooth, first solid food, first steps, etc.  Russell's baby book even has a page to record all of his important firsts.  I believe every little first should be celebrated, but I think that baby's lasts should be celebrated and treasured just as much.  For example, once baby's first tooth comes in, you no longer get to enjoy their toothless little grin!

Tonight, I fed Russell his very last bottle.  This was a such a sad moment for me and I was so glad that we had to supplement Russell with formula a little past his first birthday so I could soak it all in!  I loved feeding Russell his bottles.  No matter what stage Russell has been in, it was always my special time with Russell.  When he was about 3 months old, he would rub his fingers through his hair when he ate.  Once Russell was about 4 months old, he recognized his bottle and would hyperventilate when he saw it.  Once Russell was mobile, he would book it towards his bottle if we showed it too him.  I had 12 1/2 months of happy snuggles and stroking his soft cheeks during his bottles.  And now its over.

My sweet Russell growing up so fast.

As sad as tonight was for me, I'm still going to enjoy all the firsts that come with this new chapter of his life.


No comments:

Post a Comment