Thursday, December 15, 2011

CHRISTmas

I consider myself a pretty tolerant person.  I think the variety of personalities and perspectives that mankind possesses is what makes life so great and interesting.  However, why do the present generations, that demand tolerance and acceptance, try and turn Christmas into a non-Christian event?  It seems that there are enough people who are offended and complain about the "Merry Christmas" salutation, that "Happy Holidays" is the only acceptable holiday greeting in public.  Being a Christian, this makes me very upset and confused.  If someone of the Jewish faith were to wish me a "Happy Hanukkah,"  the last thing I would feel is offended.  It would actually make me feel honored that someone of another faith would include me (however small) in their special holiday.  I recognize that "Happy Holidays" can be used as an umbrella term for everything that is celebrated during this time of year (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, New Years, etc.), but it shouldn't replace "Merry Christmas."

I have no problem with people not of the Christian faith celebrating Christmas along with those of us who are, I welcome it! However, there is a big problem when they don't accept and acknowledge why the holiday is celebrated in the first place.  Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ, a man whom billions believe to be their king, savior, and brother.  Christmas celebrates a man whose life is the perfect example of charity and love.  The life that Christ lived is worth celebrating (and should be celebrated everyday).  What do people have against celebrating a man whose attributes and way of living are still considered exceptional by today's standards (by both Christians and non-Christians).  How can you look down on someone who truly loves and cares about others? And why would you deny a group of people who celebrate his example and strive to be like Him their holiday?  What is wrong with someone wishing you a "Merry Christmas" or a neighbor decorating their lawn with a nativity scene?

A few years back while working in retail during the Christmas season, I wanted to be in the Christmas spirit, but felt I had to say "Happy Holidays" to the customers while, of course, they were checking out with gifts for CHRISTMAS.  I will never forget one encounter with a customer.  I just finished her transaction and happily wished her a "Happy Holidays."  She stopped, looked at me straight in the eye, then smiled and wished me a "Merry Christmas." I was so excited to repeat the greeting back to her.

I hope that the continuation of trying to take Christ and the true meaning of Christmas is reversed. 

I hope that my Christian and non-Christian friends alike all have a very Merry CHRISTmas!

1 comment: