Sunday, April 22, 2012

Important Questions. Answered.

What do you want to be when you grow up?  I'm sure it is a question we have all been bombarded with.

I'm graduating with my Bachelor's degree in just a couple of weeks.  It is an event that I've been highly anticipating and have worked hard to reach.  I'll be graduating with a degree in Music with an emphasis in Violin.  Over the course of my studies, I've always been humored and annoyed at people's reactions to my major choice.  My interpretation of people's reactions says, "Wow.  That seems like a fluffy major.  You aren't smart enough to do anything else?"  Well, those who may feel that way, my choice of studies is anything but easy and it especially not for the dumb or those trying to fly through school.

Most of my fellow music majors have been studying their instruments (except maybe vocalists) since before they entered elementary school.  A lot of us started to learn how to read music the same time we started to learn how to read English!  Years of hours of practicing and expensive lessons don't even guarantee you a spot in the major.  We all had to audition.  We all auditioned against incredibly talented individuals.  We couldn't just decide after we graduated from High School or halfway through college that we were going to major in music and start studying an instrument.  Our college endeavors started years before we graduated from high school.

Once in the program, music majors are faced with low credit, but extremely time consuming classes.  Most of my semesters consisted of about 14 credits.  However, I had 8 or 9 classes!  Course work consisted of theory (which, let me tell you, could be comparable to grueling and torturous math classes) and music history.  We also had to study composition, conducting, and arranging music.  Then there was our rehearsal schedule!  Orchestra rehearsals, quartet rehearsals, private lessons, master classes . . .  and the amount of practicing we had to do? Yikes.

So, people-who-think-majoring-in-music-is-fluff, it isn't.

I have also had multiple people ask me what I am going to do with my major.  Several people say it in a way that says to me, "There isn't a thing in the world to do with that major.  You've set yourself up for a life of unemployment and being poor.  You weren't thinking very clearly majoring in music.  How are you supposed to support a family?"

There are actually quite a few things I could do with a degree in music.  Not only could I pursue a career in a professional orchestra, I could teach private lessons, go on to receive more advanced degrees and teach at a college or University, play in a quartet at private functions, or play in a studio orchestra (anyone watch movies? A studio orchestra is behind all of that music magic).  Stringed instruments are also prominent in the music of several popular artists.  I could go tour with Josh Groban or Dave Matthews!  I could also abandon my life in the U.S. and become a celtic fiddler in an Irish pub.

Now that I've cleared that up, let me clear up what I want to do now that I'm graduating.

First, I'm going to be a Mommy.  The hard work, patience, long hours, and repetitive practicing that I put into majoring in violin translates perfectly into being a Mommy.  Not only do I have the skill to bring music into my home, going through my program has given me the knowledge and guts I need to be a Mom.  I have learned how to work hard and put in long hours.  I've also set the example to my sweet Russell and future kids on how getting an education and pursuing talents is important and makes you a better person.  Even if I don't use my talent or degree to earn an income, I feel that my abilities can bless my family's life and the lives of those around me.  I feel that I am an asset when it comes to music and can use it to help in my children's schools or help out at church.

When I was deciding what I would study at school, it was important for me to pick something that I could do if I ever needed to provide for my family financially.  If I do choose to help support my family financially, I plan on teaching private lessons.  Teaching would be the perfect career for me.  I love working one on one with kids (and adults).  I love seeing the progress my students make.  I feel like I have the ability to make a difference and I feel like I learn a lot about my own playing through teaching.  I've also set myself up for a career where I get to pick my own hours, set my pay, and work at home.  Who wouldn't want that?  It will be perfect for me and great for my family as well.

So, I feel like I've set myself up well.  I have a degree I know how to use.  If I choose to work, I know I'm going to love my job.  I know I can support my family if I need to.  It also benefits several aspects of my life beyond financially.  I'm proud of my major and I'm proud of myself.

3 comments:

  1. I loved this! Thanks Katie! You're an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your thoughts! I definitely know music is not a fluffy subject :) I hate it when people judge majors. I have been pretty much told that my major is for stupid people. I find it really offensive. I'd like to see people sit down across from a person in crisis and have the courage to walk the path with them. Congratulations on finishing your degree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are delightful. I know you're not technically my little sister, but I am so proud of you just the same. Being a music major is crazy hard - no question about what an accomplishment your degree is.

    ReplyDelete