I'm always amazed at how many people misspell my name (don't judge too harshly now if there are misspelled words in this post). I recognize the fact that there are several common ways to spell my name: Kathryn, Catherine, Cathryn. If I were to go by my full first name, it would be K-A-T-H-E-R-I-N-E. Katherine. I usually only go by my full name at school. Funny thing is, my name was misspelled an entire semester in the orchestra programs. Funniest thing about that? I was registered for the class. My name would have been spelled correctly on the roll! Even funnier? The teacher that should supposedly know me the best ALWAYS spells it wrong. It is on their roll too . . .
What really gets me is when people spell the name I actually go by wrong. I spell my name K-A-T-I-E. Not Katy, KT, or Kaytee. I know of people who spell their names like that, but I know a lot of girls named Katie and most of them spell it the same way I do.
I'm not saying that I expect everyone to automatically spell my name correctly, but shouldn't I be able to expect the people who know me to spell it right?
On that note, my son's name is misspelled all the time too. Again, funny thing about that is I tried to pick a name that wouldn't be misspelled (must be a peeve of mine). I knew that there would be the occasional blunder, but everyone I know or have heard of with the same name as him spell it this one way. His name is spelled R-U-S-S-E-L-L. Russell. Two S's and two L's. His name is plastered all over my blogs and Facebook page if there are any questions. Russell. Russell. Russell.
Wow. Now that I've given a mini-lecture. I'll spare you all from hearing about how my sister's name is always slaughtered and the spelling lesson on my maiden and married last names.
'Night!
Story of my life friend. I said no to a request at school this week because the top of the paper said "Jacyln" - what does that even sound like?
ReplyDelete